Thursday, September 03, 2015

Disko Bay - Day 2

One of the most important things to do in the evening is to find the energy to take a walk.  After a long day on the water the easiest thing thing to do is to lie around the tent reading, dozing and drinking hot chocolate.
Staying around camp means that your perspective is restricted to a narrow coastal strip of land and there is so much more to Greenland.  Walking inland during the evening also increases the possibility of seeing Arctic Fox and Hare, plus a wider range of bird species.
The thing that surprised us on our evening walk was the amount of snow left in some areas, on none of my previous visits had we encountered such a large amount of snow, so low down.  Probably an indication of quite a hard winter and/or a late snow fall.
The second day of the paddle dawned grey and cold, the temperature had probably dropped by 12 degrees Celsius overnight, and was not to really recover for the next couple of weeks, although there was a slight respite when we stopped for lunch.
The plan was to head north along the west coast of Arve Prins Ejland, in all our previous visits we had always paddled south along the west coast.  Hopefully it would allow us to see a familiar landscape from a different perspective.
 It was a pity not to head out onto the snow.  A novel experience, at roughly sea level, in late July.
 The snow and ice covered quite a sizable area.
 The view inland from near the slabs at Anoritoq, it was well worth the effort.
 Leaving the inlet at Anoritoq on a rather grey morning.  7 years earlier I watched the people staying in the hut behind, out water ski-ing.  A truly memorable image
 Low cloud, ice and a temperature of 5 degrees.  What a contrast to the day before.
 Crossing Pakitsoq in perfect conditions.  We saw whales in the distance, one of 5 times that we saw them whilst we were away, sadly none were particularly close.
 Crossing Arve Prinsens Ejland, a 4 or 5 mile crossing, weaving across the channel to avoid the larger bergs.
 Ice comes in all manner of colours, shapes and sizes.
 Tracey passing close to some of the larger bergs.  It was at times like this that our paddling speed would increase.  Once you have witnessed a large berg break up, you don't want to pass too close.
 Alex keeping a watch on the bergs.
 Amazingly once we landed on the south east shore of Arve Prinsens Ejland the fog dispersed allowing for a relaxing lunch break.  It was going to be another 2 weeks before we headed south through this channel.

No comments: